Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Santiago

So we went for a walk last night and when we looked at our book we realized that we saw everything already....It is all very nice though, but not as charming as BA. However, the main square is amazing. There are people everywhere. In the middle is a huge hugh fake christmas tree decorated with the coca-cola logo. It is beautiful and really captures the spirit of the season. I think I am going to redecorate in coca-cola. Then there are street performers, a place for fortune tellers, artists, etc. It is pretty great to walk around.

Then there is a street that is blocks and blocks of mall. You can walk from one end to the other and only go outside when crossing the street because you are in a series of malls the whole time. The malls also have CRAP. One of the most popular stores is Pasion. It is like dirty Victoria´s Secret.

We also had a hard time finding an ATM that worked. We realized it has to say red bank in order for an international card to work. So we tried those and it turns out some only take visa and some only take mastercard. It was a bit of a process.

Our hotel is interesting. It is nice enough and kind of dated. Our bathroom is straight out of a horror movie. I call it our hostel bathroom because the florecent light blinks and buzzes until it settles into its eerie hum and bad lighting. However the tv is funny - they were showing the movie Love Potion Number 9. We had breakfast today and it was like a school cafeteria where there was food out and you got your tray and piled it with what you wanted. There were the following to choose from
Overcooked brocolli and cauliflower
Fruit salad
Orange, Pear and red juice
Rolls
A plate with one piece of ham
A plate with one piece of cheese
Instant coffee or tea

So strange and the overcooked veggies really gave it an interesting scent.

OK off to the craft village like Samantha Brown Passport to Latin America. Tomorrow is Valparaiso and then the trip is almost over :-(

3 comments:

sara said...

You keep saying hostel like it's BAD, haha.. I enjoy staying in horror movie hotels. I'm glad you got to see some beautiful mountains! I saw them in Peru but I'd like to see them in Chile. Do they have coca tea there? They have a lot of teas and drinks in SA that help you with altitude and everything else.

Pick me up some skanky underwear at Pasion. Is it like the Frederick's of hollywood of SA? Frederico de Hollywood?

Anonymous said...

I feel like I'm homesick reading your blog, even though I've never been to SA ;) I want to see pictures!

When I lived with a Chilean I got the impression that the food is rather bland - and lots of potatoes. Is that true?

Anonymous said...

I think Fredricks of Hollywood is the dirty victoria secretions... Did you have your fortune read?