Thursday, May 14, 2009

Where did my soles go?

Yesterday was the last day in Cuzco. I decided to exit the hotel a different way and go down the street instead of around the corner - scandalous I know. I stumbled upon a church built on top of Incan ruins. The Dominicans preserved this and turned it into a museum of sorts. So I was all excited because | had to buy this tourist pass for 130 soles which is about $35-$40 and it was supposed to get us into all of these attractions... Well after Pisac I couldn't use it so I had to whip out my wallet. I really need one of those international student cards...

From there I followed the Incan walls to the main square, with a detour at the Andean craft village. After making one woman's dreams come true with a bag full of purchases and a promise to come back (she was going to give me a free gift if I did), I headed towards the square. I then reached into the wallet again for the tour of the cathedral. Of course I got the headset so I knew what I was looking at..I am such a dork. After that, I thought, why not spend more and go into the Jesuit church. They already got 4 years worth of my family's money for tuition in college, what's another 10 soles?

I then met up with Ann and the shopping started/continued. Upon returning to the Andean art village, I was greeted with smiles and many holas and given my free gift. We then made our way to the hills of San Blas where the artisan's work. A few alpaca goods and jewelry stores later, I called it a day in terms of the shopping that is.

I guess if I am not good at climbing a mountain, I am at least good at stimulating the economy of the surrounding areas

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Stimulating the economy is without a doubt a knack you have.